St. Francis de Sales High School is located in the East Side of Chicago at 101st and Ewing. The school has served high school students from the East Side and beyond for almost 80 years; it has been located in its current building since 1958. Since 1962, the school has been sponsored by the Archdiocese of Chicago. The Big Shoulders Fund, which has been a significant funding partner to the school since 1995, has taken a larger funding and consulting role with the school since 2013.
St. Francis de Sales has always served working class families, many who immigrated to the United States to make a better life for their families. As steel mills and manufacturing plants closed in the area, the community’s demographics and economic situation has changed, but the East Side continues to attract hard hard-working families who want to give their children the opportunity that only a quality education can provide.
As one of the oldest co-educational high schools in Chicago, St. Francis de Sales retains the core mission to serve these families and to help their children succeed.